Mission of the W.P.F.M.H.G. is to support the fire departments
and the families of fallen firefighters, while promoting citizen awareness to the dangers of fire.
The Honor Guard was organized in 1991 by Commander Martin J. Kauer. We were founded in 1995 as the Western
Pennsylvania Firefighters Memorial Honor Guard.
Purposes of the W.P.F.M.H.G. - "Why we Volunteer?":
- To provide an Honor Guard for firefighter and emergency personnel
funerals and memorial services, while providing the necessary support and equipment needed to the fire companies and families
during the funeral proceedings.
- To promote citizen awareness of the danger of fire, and to promote
the skills of firefighters, through fire prevention educational programs. The mission of our fire prevention program
is to assist the fire companies and municipalities of Western Pennsylvania with additional teaching tools and equipment needed to bring about
awareness to the danger of fire.
- To support the fire companies and municipalities within our
region with emergency support services, such as traffic support, fire / disaster scene rehabilitation, or other services needed
at the time of disaster.
- To promote the Irish and Scottish heritage
within the Western Pennsylvania fire service community through the development of the Western
Pennsylvania Firefighters Memorial Honor Guard Pipes & Drums.
provides a multitude of services that are openly available to the fire departments and municipalities of Western
Pennsylvania. They include the following:
- Honor Guard and Pipes & Drums – available for funerals,
parades, memorial services, etc.
- Mobile Safety Training Unit – out state of the art trailer
is available for your open house, community day, or event to teach fire safety, the importance of sprinklers, home safety,
9-1-1 phone training, etc. We also offer a robotic “Smokey the Bear”
teaching prop as well.
- Emergency Services: Rehab / Mobile
Command Unit and Traffic Unit.
- Funeral Coach –Seagrave Custom Pumper that has built
in rollers in the hosebed to be used as a hearse or flower car for firefighter and emergency service personnel throughout
- Dunk Tank – an additional tool to use in fundraising at
your community carnivals and fairs.
- Social Hall – our facility is openly available for meetings,
training events, and social gatherings. The hall seats 60+ people and has an
equipped kitchen, bar and small parking area.
- Loaner Engine – we offer our 386 Engine 5 to any department or municipality
should you be down a piece due to accident, breakdown….
Founder - Martin J. Kauer, Commander
Monument - Western Pennsylvania Firefighters Memorial - Voegty Cemetery, Troy Hill, Pittsburgh.
Non-profit, Charitable Organization 501 c 3 Status
Four (4) pieces of emergency apparatus
One Fire Safety House
43 Active Volunteer Members
- Commander and Color Sgts. are Graduates of the National Fire and Public Safety Honor Guard
Academy (Florida State Fire College, Ocala, FL.)
County Station Number - Allegheny County
Primary Fire Radio Communications - County
Regional Channel and Low Band.